NY Strip Steak with Balsamic Reduction Glaze
This is an easy meal using ingredients most people have in the fridge.
The steak comes out beautiful, and the balsamic reduction is slightly sweet and tart at the same time… and soooo easy to make.
I was low on veggies, but I aways have some tomatoes and mushrooms on hand. So… put ’em together!
The entire dish feels somewhere between a hearty steakhouse meal, and a nice Italian restaurant entree.
- 1 NY strip steak (cut in half – optional)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 large tomato, cut in fourths
- 4-5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Balsamic Reduction Glaze
- In a small sauce pan, heat the balsamic vinegar on medium-high heat until it starts to boil. Immediately reduce to medium-low and let it simmer for about 10 min., or until it’s a syrup-consistency. Stir often so it doesn’t burn. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
For the Steak
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Bring steak to room temperature and pat dry.
- I like to cut mine in half since NY strips tend to be big, but this recipe works just fine for a large cut as well (you’ll have plenty of glaze to go around). I also like to trim the fat because it can get a little too chewy for my taste. It’s up to you.
- Salt and pepper both sides.
- Place steak on a wire rack over a baking sheet and place on the center oven rack.
- Cook for about 15 min or until internal steak temperature reaches 90-95°F for medium-rare. 100-105°F for medium.
- It may look a little gray at this point. Don’t worry, we’re going to finish it with a nice sear in the pan.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet on medium-high and put the steak in.
- Let the steak sit for about 3-4 min. or until a nice brown sear forms. Flip over and do the same for the other side.
- When internal temp is nearly 130-135°F for medium rare (135-140°F for medium), grab some tongs and sear the sides of the steak for about 20 seconds.
- Pull out of the skillet and let rest for 5 min. before cutting in to it.
For the Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic glove and let simmer for 20 seconds.
- Put the tomatoes in, skin side down. I like to cook the skin side a little longer than the mushrooms.
- After a min. or two, put in the mushrooms and saute everything for about 3 min. until mushrooms are slightly browned and the tomatoes are slightly soft.
- Plate everything and drizzle the balsamic reduction glaze over the steak as desired (you can warm the balsamic if its gotten too thick while resting).