Mustard Lime Chicken and Asparagus
Here’s another recipe I can’t take credit for, but it’s too delicious not to spread the word. Thanks to Elana Amsterdam at www.ElanasPantry.com for this one.
I’ve only modified her recipe ever so slightly, but either way, the results are awesome (I don’t usually have cilantro on hand as per Elana’s recipe, so I subbed it out for a blend of parsley and basil).
At first glance, the thought of mustard and lime seemed like very strange partners. But I do love dijon mustard, so I had to give it a try. I was dead wrong. It’s a fantastic combination. The sauce is rich and creamy, and the herbs and lime bring out a very bold flavor. The chicken breast stays nice and juicy (I prefer skin-on chicken breast… it ads a little more fatty mouth-feel to the dish) as it bakes covered in the mustard-lime sauce.
You don’t have to pair it with asparagus, but I think they work very well together, especially with a splash of lime in the mix. Anything green with tomatoes would work very well.
If you’re scaling this recipe up for more servings, you can pretty much double up on everything, with the exception of the olive oil. I would add a tbsp at first, then more if needed… same goes for the lime and mustard. Taste as you go. Also, Elana blends the mixture in a food processor. I don’t. I just whisk it together with a fork and it comes out fine. Careful with the chili powder. A dash is plenty to give it just a slight kick, but don’t let me stop you.
You’ll be adding this recipe to your regular rotation, I guarantee it.
Prep time: 10 min. (plus 30 min. to marinate)
Cook time: 30 min.
For the chicken breast
- 1 chicken breast, skin on (will work with skin off too)
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Dash of chili powder
For the asparagus
- 6-7 stalks of asparagus
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4-5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced/pressed
- Mix all the chicken ingredients in a bowl, then add the chicken breast. Coat well and let marinate 15-30 min.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all of the asparagus ingredients together in a bowl, then add the asparagus and toss well.
- Add the chicken breast to oven safe dish and pour all remaining marinade over it.
- In a separate oven safe dish, add the asparagus mixture.
- Place both dishes in the oven.
- Pull the asparagus out at 15 min. or to desired softness (a few min. longer for thick asparagus). Tent with foil to keep warm until chicken is done (reheat a few minutes in the hot oven just before the chicken comes out if needed).
- Pull the chicken out after a total of 25-30 min until temperature reaches 165°F.
- Plate everything and drizzle remaining marinade over the chicken.