Marinated Chicken Leg with Zucchini Pasta
I’m always on the lookout for easy, yet slightly different meals. This one was a result of “what do I have left in the refrigerator tonight?” I was down to a chicken leg, a zucchini, some cherry tomatoes, and a lemon. For the chicken, I figured rosemary is always good, and I need to use this lemon… so let’s mix them up with some olive oil and garlic and see what happens.
Zucchini pasta is a Paleo staple, so tossing it with some olive oil and cherry tomatoes was a no-brainer.
Altogether, the dish was better than I expected. The zingy citrus worked perfect with the fresh zucchini and tomatoes. This would make a great summer or spring dish, imho.
Prep time: 10 min. (plus 30-60 for marination)
Cook time: 20-30 min.
Serves: 1 (easily scale up for more servings)
- 1 chicken leg (quarter)
- 1/2 stalk rosemary, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced/pressed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Olive oil for “pasta” and cooking
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned (sliced into pasta-like strips)
- 4-6 cherry tomatoes
For the Chicken
- Combine the lemon, garlic, rosemary, and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the mixture and chicken leg to a zip-lock baggie, making sure to coat the chicken well. Let marinate for 30-60 min.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Heat some olive oil on medium high in an oven-safe skillet. Add chicken leg and brown well on both sides.
- Place the pan in the oven until the chicken leg temperature reaches 165°F.
For the Zucchini Pasta
- Cut zucchini into pasta-like strands using a julienne slicer (Buy one. It’ll save your fingers.). Stop when you get to the seeds at the core.
- Note. No julienne slicer? You can carefully cut the zucchini with a knife instead. Be careful.
- Toss with 2 tbsp olive oil, cherry tomatoes, and salt and pepper (just a dash of salt is plenty. A little more pepper is good).
- Saute zucchini and tomatoes over medium heat in a skillet for 5-7 min. (don’t over do it, or the zucchini will get mushy).
- Note. Cook the pasta and tomatoes just before your chicken is done since it cooks so fast.
- Plate the zucchini and tomatoes first, then place the chicken on top. Drizzle some of the chicken fat from the pan over the dish and serve.